First off I would like to say that since this is my first topic post I would love for people to give me some feed back, and suggestions or comments would be great. I am so excited to be making my first topic post, enough rambling on to music:body, mind and personality.
Everyone listens to music…everyone. In one form or another we can relate that rhythmic, loud, soft tune back to music. Scientist and doctors have known for a long time that music helps people, it effects peoples moods, effects their bodies and music links to personality.
Music effects the human body, it reduces blood pressure, helps recovery of stroke patients, helps symptoms of depression, enhances blood vessel function, improves sleep quality and eases pain just to name a few. Music can help chronic pain by up to 21% and help depression by 25%, according to a paper in the latest UK-based Journal of Advanced Nursing. It can also relax your muscles and clear your mind, many doctors use it to help people recover from surgery and use it post-surgery.
Also not surprisingly music enhances a workout, when you are distracted by your favourite album you don’t even notice the burn or the fact that you ran the extra couple of kilometers. It helps to make you work out longer and with a higher intensity, music makes the workout seem easier and helps you too feel amazing afterwards.
Not only does music help the body but also peoples moods. Music has an amazing link to emotions, it helps decrease stress and anxiety and makes people happy or sad. Researches have made amazing discovery, when music that is slow and synchronised to the human brain rhythm helps people who are asleep boost their memory and improve the quality of their sleep. Music is so effective on reducing anxiety, it is used in dental and radiation therapy to help patients with their worries about the up coming procedure. This tactic is used in elderly, new mothers and even children.
Music effects different parts of the human brain, the part of the brain that effects mood and emotion, the hippocampus and prefrontal cortex. The music you listen to has a strong chance of effecting your brain waves, in other words it will effect your mood not only for a few hours after you listened to that amazing song but possibly days and even weeks after.
Most people when they are down, feeling upset turn to music, some people prefer to turn to upbeat happy songs while other prefer to go to music that reflects their mood soft, slow and upsetting songs. It is the best choice to turn to music that is upbeat and happy, it is a safe and cheap way to make your self feel better.
Music also reflects your personality; a study of a couple that spent time trying to get to know each other, they looked at their partners top ten favourite songs that they are predictably going to listen to, it was found that these songs will provided information on that persons personality.
Your music choices reflects your personality:
- Blues fans have high self-esteem, are creative, outgoing, gentle and at ease
- Jazz fans have high self-esteem, are creative, outgoing and at ease
- Classical music fans have high self-esteem, are creative, introvert and at ease
- Rap fans have high self-esteem and are outgoing
- Opera fans have high self-esteem, are creative and gentle
- Country and western fans are hardworking and outgoing
- Reggae fans have high self-esteem, are creative, not hardworking, outgoing, gentle and at ease
- Dance fans are creative and outgoing but not gentle
- Indie fans have low self-esteem, are creative, not hard working, and not gentle
- Bollywood fans are creative and outgoing
- Rock/heavy metal fans have low self-esteem, are creative, not hard-working, not outgoing, gentle, and at ease
- Chart pop fans have high self-esteem, are hardworking, outgoing and gentle, but are not creative and not at ease
- Soul fans have high self-esteem, are creative, outgoing, gentle, and at ease
When you sing or listen to music it can do amazing things, it is a cheap “medicine”, it effects people in unimaginable ways.
“Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything”- anonymous